Monday, February 8, 2010

Wildlife . . . Wild Life?

We've seen lots of interesting wild life since our arrival. There have been lots and lots of monkeys, water buffalo (that roam around all over town), cows (that also roam around while being offered gifts of water and food), goats, more monkeys, tons of different birds, etc. But I haven't really encountered any wildlife up close and personal until today. Last night I was alone downstairs emailing my family, lamenting on how excited my bro-in-law must be after the Super Bowl, etc. when out of the corner of my eye a very large mouse (some might call it a rat) came out from behind where my suitcases are sitting. It looked at me, bared it's teeth and hissed at me!!!!!!!!!!!! Once again, there was definite hissing and teeth baring in MY DIRECTION! You will be happy to know that I didn't scream at all. I merely grabbed the computer and stood on the couch until it left. Then I immediately went upstairs!

With this lovely encounter fresh on my mind all night, I couldn't bring myself to get up for the potty or anything for fear that the creature would be waiting for me. About 5:45 a.m., I did muster up the courage to start my day and get out of bed. I got my torch (AKA flashlight), shined it all over the floor for an initial check, put on my slippers, grabbed my books and headed downstairs. When I opened the bedroom door, another creature was there to greet me. They call them 'huntsmen' - a spider so large, it could only be frightened by a tarantula. Thankfully, this one was a baby. It's body the size of a half dollar and it's whole being, legs and all, was probably the size of the top to a Jif peanut butter jar. Again, no scream emitted from me. I did tell Jonathan - even though that was probably mean given his outright fear of spiders. I also noted that I only turned away for a moment and when I looked back the spider was NOWHERE to be found. Fast little sucker.

I'm convinced that at this moment, spider and rat are somewhere contriving a scheme to kill me in the night. I'll be keeping my feet off the floor until I am assured of their eradication.

3 comments:

Stevens Family said...

WOW!!! You rock with your bravery. Much admiring you form the wildlife free confines (other then the teenagers that are outside at all hours) of Europe. Love you guys.

Jerry Sims said...

It is so good to read your blog entries. Keep giving us these every day tidbits so we can keep up with your lives. Let us know how the boys are doing also. Love you guys!!!!

brandithicks said...

I WOULD HAVE DIED!!!! YOU ARE A BRAVE WOMAN!!!!