Here's what my daddy told me that night before we left, "Carrie, I just don't know what those people are going to think about you." I'm certain he meant this in the most fatherly, loving way possible, but today it proved true. I went out into the community with my language teacher to practice. I sat with a nice group of older (not old, just older than me) ladies to practice talking. I'm at the point where I can ask about their families, their homes, where they are going, what work they do or their husbands do and what they ate for breakfast. The main lady I was talking to (Kamala) told me at the end of our conversation that she was very glad to meet me and that I was very interesting. Now, I'm sure she also meant this along the same vein as my father's comment! All the other ladies laughed, so I'm sure it was nicely meant. Below is part of our conversation. (Please remember that I am practicing and have a pretty limited vocabulary at this point).
Carrie - Taipaaile aaja bihanna ke khanubhayo? (What did you eat for breakfast this morning?)
Kamala - Moile aaja bihanna bhat ra massu khanubhayo. (I ate rice and meat this morning.)
C - Tikchha. Taipaaile kukuro massu khanubhayo? (Okay. Did you eat chicken meat?)
LOTS and LOTS of laughter from both Kamala and the general audience. I realize at this point that I have asked her if she eats kukuro massu (dog meat) rather than what I meant to say kukuraako massu (chicken meat)! NICE!
K - Chaina. Kukuro massu monpardaina. (No, I don't like dog meat).
Hopefully I won't ever make that mistake again. We went on to have a lovely conversation, and I am going back next Monday to join Kamala and some of her friends for a prayer service at a local Christian church. I am excited.
I was hoping to publish some photos, but it is taking FOREVER with this internet connection. If anyone has any ideas as to easier/faster ways to publish photos for all to see, a comment detailing those instructions would be appreciated.
ALSO - couldn't end this post without saying, 'WHO DAT'! We got up at 5:30 a.m. to watch the Super Bowl! It was AWESOME and I'll bet New Orleans is an absolute ZOO! WHO DAT! GEAUX SAINTS!
2 comments:
A journeygirl here told me how to load pictures quickly by writing an email to a blogger account (which can be set up in your options) and attach pictures to the email. Then all you have to do is open the "draft" and move your pictures where you want them.
I'm still working on the symantics of it, but I will give you more details when she returns. She went to India to visit a friend for 10 days
That is so funny, Carrie! I imagine you'll have a lot of funny language-learning stories. It sounds like you've learned a lot already!
I'll ask Nick if he knows about your picture-loading question...
Post a Comment