Friday, August 12, 2011

Parenting Advice

The amount of parenting advice that we receive on a daily basis is ASTOUNDING.  It's totally unsolicited and comes from some unexpected places - like the college student walking down my street- the MALE, 18 year old college student walking down my street.  Sometimes I handle it well, and sometimes I want to just roll my eyes and/or scream.  I thought I would pass along to you these valuable lessons we've learned about how to handle our baby.

Jon Thomas is holding Sarah in the ONLY appropriate way to hold a baby - the cradle hold.  This is healthy for her, even if she HATES being held this way and screams the whole time.

 If, however, you choose to hold her as pictured above, it is bad for her.  It will make her cheeks droop.  This is the thing people have told us over and Over and OVER.  AND they say it in such a way that if you don't immediately change her position, they will tell again and again until you hold her in the cradle position.  We've finally addressed the issue by telling them that she has had an operation and shouldn't be held that way, which appeases them.
 You should know that is it about 85-90 degrees every day where we live right now.  If we take Sarah out dressed as she is in the above picture, the older ladies are sure to click at me because she is clearly freezing to death - even though she is actively sweating.  And DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT turning on a fan within a 6 mile radius of the child.  When we are out visiting, they turn the fans off the moment she enters the room, and we are left to SWELTER. 
We have been told that by using the above pictured device, she is probably going to get a tongue infection or smother.

If I carry her in the sling down to the market, we hear that she is too hot or the sling is too tight.  If we take her in the stroller, it is not good for her head. 

I only put lotion on her skin, which will not make her strong and healthy.  In order for her to become strong, she should be rubbed with oil (preferably mustard oil) and laid in the sunshine. 

Even with all this advice, Sarah is helping us make new friends every day!  She is a sweetie, even if we are completely ruining her with our terrible parenting techniques.

5 comments:

Stevens Family said...

sounds like you live in serbia!!! She is beautiful and thanks for sharing the advice, we needed some.

AmyB said...

This had me laughing so hard! I loved every bit of it. She is just beautiful and enjoy all that advice. I know we do!

Bran said...

The advice, the advice. However in the world did you raise 2 wonderful boys without knowing all this valuable stuff?

Kathryn Taylor said...

AAAAAaaaaauugggghhh! How do you maintain your composure? You are a saint!

Just show them your two precious boys, and let them know that you DO, in fact, know what you are doing!

Bridget said...

I just can't get past the hair bow. LOVE it!!! Love you....she is beautiful!!!