Wednesday, July 13, 2011

More from Bangkok

Throughout our time in Bangkok, we didn't focus so much on exploring Thailand or Thai culture so much as we enjoyed all the 'Americaness' we could find in the country.  The 'American' things would include air conditioning in every building, malls, toy stores, McDonald's, Burger King, Dairy Queen, book stores, Mexican food, clothing stores where the clothes are sorted and displayed by size (and there are actually more than one size per style), playgrounds with modern play equipment, ICE in drinks that in many instances was JUST LIKE Sonic ice, eating a salad at a restaurant and other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting.  It was fun experiencing those things with our kids again.  After 18 months without those things, the boys really just forgot all that 'stuff' existed.


While Jonathan and I were at the hospital welcoming Baby Sister into the world, some very generous friends of ours kept the boys.   They were the first to take the boys to an awesome park near their home.  Of all the familiar things from home we got to experience, I think Charlie was MOST excited about something he saw in this park.


TA DA!  It was a water fountain.  I am NOT exaggerating by saying that he told me about the water fountain and explained how you use it at least 20 times UNTIL we took him back to the park just to try it out again. He said, "Mom, you can just drink the water right from the faucet-thing.  It won't even make you sick!" 

I was happy to indulge the kid by returning to the park for a little more water fountain action.  Here's how his second trip to the park went:  playing, get a drink, playing, another quick drink, a little playing, waiting in line for, you guessed it, the water fountain.


 

1 comment:

Dana said...

So I'm guessing there aren't any water fountains where you live? It's so interesting to learn about which "common" things are not so common everywhere in the world...