If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that we live in a land far, far away from what is comfortable and normal for us. Things here are different, and some things are downright weird. Someone once showed us a graph that actually assigned a number 'grade' for the most stressful things you can do in life. I think #2 on the list was move into a new culture. Needless to say, there have been times of stress.
In the States, I LOVED to make things and be crafty. I love to sew, and I've always been open to learning any kind of new craft. Just ask my poor family, they've had to endure Christmases full of presents representing 'my latest and greatest' craft finds. I don't know what I was thinking when I embarked on this (apparently really high stress) journey with only craft materials to use with my kids. Prompted by this (whisper) pregnancy (a word you would never utter aloud in this country), I made a decision. I was going to let a little craftiness back into my life.
Ummmmm, well now what? I went to the market and found the yarn wholesaler and bought a lot of yarn. Then I went to the notions shop and spent 15 minutes trying to find out the appropriate word for 'crochet hook'. The conversation went something like this (for you 'this' is in English, for me not so much). . . .
Me: What is this (pointing to my yarn)?
Answer: yarn.
Me: I need something to use with this to make things like clothes and blankets. It's a long stick.
Answer: Blank stare.
Me: I want to make a blanket with this (the yarn) and I need a stick.
Answer: Blank stare.
Me: Miming crocheting.
Answer: Big smile. Just one minute. Returns with knitting needles. I smile, because now we are getting somewhere.
Me: These are good, but I just want one stick that is a little different.
Answer: Another big smile (I knew I was onto something now). Just one more minute. Returns with crochet hook.
Me: What is this called?
Answer: Crochet hook (cruss)
AHHHHH language learning SUCCESS!!!!!
BUT even crafting in this foreign land is not without it's issues, because hey, who wants something to just be EASY??????
You buy the yarn looking like this:
In order to be usable, it needs to look like this:But sometimes, it ends up like this instead, which prompts you to scream in frustration (another good stress relieving technique)
But in the end, you finish the project and have this all ready for a sweet, pink bundle of joy. YAY. The stress isn't totally gone, but it's on its way out the door!
5 comments:
Oh my stars above. Can I list you on my resume in the Cool People I Know section? Wow. Is there anything you can't do? Seriously.
I have GOT to learn how to crochet. Funny post!
So excited about this post.
1. pink in your house!
2. you are crafty, girl!
You do know how much I love you, right? I can hear your voice in your blog and it makes my heart happy. You rock! (and crochet).
This is a beautiful blanket! I'm trying to learn to crochet, but so far, I've got a really long chain. Next: learn to read a pattern!
Post a Comment