The Spears Institute of Fun and Learning (SILF) has gotten off to quite a busy start after the Christmas break. Enrollment is holding steady at two pupils, but we are thinking of expanding our preschool program within the next six months! 
Our school boasts some 'perks' that others just can't offer - including a flexible dress code which includes allowing for the whims of kindergartners who love, love, love reading 'Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest' for read aloud time and want to wear the merry green of Robin's crew all the time. (aside - we once wore the headgear over to a friend's house to play, and someone asked if my kids had to wear head wraps for religious reasons. To which I replied, 'no, they are just doing it for fun'.) 
Seriously, we are enjoying homeschooling . . . most days. I asked Charlie the other morning if he was enjoying kindergarten. He replied, 'I think it's going pretty well. Learning the special sounds (from phonics) is really working for me.' Sounds good to me. We are currently enthralled with ancient Egypt and really itching for a complete Pharaoh wardrobe. In addition to our fun times in science and history, we are also digging deeper into some serious math stuff and writing!
Because SILF only employs a single teacher, it has taken a while for her to tame the beast of teaching two children separately AND trying to learn a foreign language herself. But finally, with the help of our beloved principal, we've gotten the kinks worked out of the schedule and school for all family members is rolling nicely along!
One thing I really miss about homeschooling in the States is talking with other moms about curriculum and getting together with coops for fun trips and experiences. My kids STILL talk about the time we all gathered together in a big field and marked off the measurements for Noah's Ark when we lived in New Orleans! When we lived in the States, there were LOTS of moms who enjoyed talking about schooling and giving out sage advice. There are only a handful of homeschooling families in the country where we live and NONE close by. I miss the camaraderie of other homeschoolers. BUT THANKFULLY in two short weeks, the boys and I are traveling for an international homeschool conference! WOOHOO! We are so excited (we=mainly me). I'm also excited that JT is going to take the ITBS (standardized test), so I we can see if this method of schooling is completely dumbing him up or not. Or maybe that should be dumbing him down? I just don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment