Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Things we enjoyed

While we enjoyed our little jaunt across the border that turned into a one month stay across the border, we found a few things we enjoyed. A few items I mentioned in a previous post (remember there were Doritos and Diet Coke involved), but I just couldn't let the following items go without a mention.
We especially loved the bockwurst (supposed to be bratwurst). As you can see from the following picture, the bockwurst was GOOOOOD. A little ketchup changed that bock into a brat real quick!
Castor sugar was another great find . . . until you read on the back of the bag that it's ALMOST bacteria free. It is a little too much to ask to be completely bacteria free I guess! At home, we can only get really large sugar granules, the kind that you would buy in the bakery section for decorating cookies or cakes. That's what we get normally for everyday use. Sometimes it just doesn't melt well in stuff we cook or in drinks, so we were excited when we learned that castor sugar is the same as the regular sugar we would buy in the U.S. It was only later that we learned that we need to check the brands for any mention that bacterial perhaps could be lurking inside! I guess there's truth in advertising even in South Asia!

1 comment:

Kimpossible said...

Is that "bockwurst" like "bock bock" the sound a chicken makes?

And re: the "almost bacteria free" item ... at least you are an epidemiologist, right?