Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter with the family (AKA . . check out my sari)

We had a really awesome time celebrating Easter out in the village today! I enjoyed this village trip more than the first one, I think. I got in a lot of language practice with the folks in our friend B's home village, and I ate locally grown and husked rice. Really quite tasty. We, Americans, would just call it rice in all stages of development. But not here. Rice is so important, it has different names for each stage of growth - out in the field, harvested but not husked, husked but not polished, polished and cooked. Seriously.
Today was also the first time that I wore a sari. I don't really know how to put the thing on, so Samita, our househelper, came over early for work and wrapped me all up! She did a very good job because I did not even have a minute's worry that it was going to fall off or anything. In the end, I wished that I had purchased a chiffon (or chiplo which means 'slippery') sari b/c although the cotton one I bought is comfortable, it was very wrinkly at the end of the day. I actually enjoyed wearing it, but probably need to place a pretty high priority on learning how to dress myself in it for future village trips!
We visited two village fellowships and had a really wonderful time. They, of course, fed us way tooooo much. I mean, I come from the South, where hospitality reigns, BUT Southerners have nothing on these people. JT and C have really enjoyed both our village trips and say they really want to live out in a village! Whoa - listen people, that's progress! We are happy that they felt so comfortable today. It was a SUPER day!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your sari! I wore my first one today too! You all are looking wonderful. Miss you lots! Hugs all around. Megan

Kimpossible said...

I love it. I want one. You look fabulous in that color.

I saw your mom and sister today at the sunrise service. Then I rode in a car with a lot of tired boys who screamed a lot. You don't know anything about that sort of thing, do you?

Dana said...

You look beautiful in your sari! And the boys are so TALL!

Kathryn Taylor said...

Everything sounds so awesome. You guys are doing so great. I talk about what you are doing all the time to the kids, and we love p*aying for you.

Patrick B. said...

very pretty