All of my life, I have wanted to tromp around in the woods to find and chop down my own Christmas tree. The closest I've ever gotten was when my dad took my to Lazy Acres over in Chunky where I tromped around with the provided Christmas-y green hack saw and chose my own tree that the 'elves' chopped down and loaded onto the 'sleigh' (AKA John Deere tractor). Therefore, one of my favorite things about parenting is that I can have the moments I've always dreamed of with my very own kids.
Thirty-three long years in the making, here is the story of how we tromped around in the forest (AKA horse pasture) in a beautiful winter wonderland to find the perfect Christmas tree.
I refused to let them cut down the first tree we found, so we cut down the second one, mainly because Jonathan didn't want to cross more than one barbed wire fence with the tree (spoil sport).
Phrases I'd like to forget were said during our Christmas tree experience:
- Please don't step in horse poop.
- Please don't drag the tree through the horse poop.
- You aren't old enough to carry an axe.
- Can I hold the barbed wire for you sweetie?
All males in our family got a turn with the axe and hack saw.
JT dragged the tree all through the pasture (AND he did a great job avoiding the poo). When we got it home, Jonathan worked on preparing the tree for the tree stand (which ended up being a big ol' bucket full of dirt)! Meme, JT, Char and me worked hard on making and decorating some beautiful ornaments for our perfect tree.
1 comment:
I love the tree and your story of harvesting and decorating. I understand how important it is to make those dreams a reality with your own kids.
Post a Comment