Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sorrow.

It's difficult to experience grief and joy at the same time. But I have today. I am grieving the loss of my precious, 103 year old grandmother. At the same time, I am joyful that her suffering is over, her mind is restored and she is enjoying sweet fellowship in heaven. I am also joyful that I am here to celebrate her life with my family.

There are wonderful things that I would always like to remember about her . . .

She played a game with me called 'my ship goes to London' - I've never met anyone else who has played that game.

She would come pick me up in the middle of the day to take me to get candy at the gas station. No wonder I still have cravings for Hot Tamales, Big League Chew and Jawbreakers!

She sang hymns all the time.

She made the best chocolate pie I've ever tasted.

She made us each a batch of 'peanut candy' every year at Christmas. I've never known anyone else to make this candy. I appreciate her so much for making it, because I've tried it - and it takes lots of time, love and effort to get it to turn out right.

She always wanted me to be a 'good girl' and love Jesus.

She used to say, 'You have freckles on your . . . butt you're pretty'

She would absolutely KILL ME if she knew I posted this with her actual age in it!

I love you lady, savvy.

1 comment:

mk said...

Oh Carrie, I am so sorry for your loss but what a beautiful testimony of your grandmother! I'm glad the boys are old enough that they will have sweet memories of their great grandmother; that doesn't happen too often these days. Hope everyone's doing well. We really miss you!!