Saturday, January 24, 2009

The 'Real' Pet

After Christmas, Charlie decided that he wanted to exchange his super cool Transformers robo-blaster jet plane (that didn't work) in for a 'real' pet. Not the fake-o pet I was trying to sell him on either (AKA stuffed animal)- the kid wanted the real thing. This completely pulled at my heartstrings since I feel like Charlie is the youngest and forever just doing whatever his brother does, SO needless to say we ended the day at the pet store. We had a choice between fish, a hamster and a white mouse. Here is the outcome . . . .

Her name is Cindy Lou. A compromise from Charlie wanting to name her 'The Grinch that Stole Christmas' and resolutely denying any shortening of that name. Charlie loves her, which surprises me. I thought he would be freaked out by her once we got her up close and personal, but no-the newness and love seems to be lasting beyond the requisite week long phase. We play with her in the evenings before bedtime, and we are even starting to teach her a few tricks. Yes, hamsters can learn behaviors like begging, etc. (You people know me, I couldn't just buy a pet and throw it in a cage - I'm a hamster expert now). Our favorite thing to do is get her out and let her run around while we sit in a circle with our legs out creating a little cage for her. Charlie calls this her 'bonus round'. In all honesty, I think Jonathan and I are happier to have a pet again than the kids. It sad, but true.

Please try not to look at the background of the above photos or the fact that Jon Thomas' pjs are really not supposed to go together - okay - it'll be our little secret.

1 comment:

Kimpossible said...

Somehow I missed Cindy Lou's original name the first time I saw this post. That is hysterical. And I love that you kept the Dr. Seuss theme with little Cindy Lou who, not even two.