In honor of fall festivals and trick or treating, we decided to try and recreate a few of our own traditions here in our new country. Don't let me fool you at all, there was no
pre-planning for this event. I just happened to be in the market and found a pumpkin-
esque looking vegetable and after much questioning determined it *might* be yellow inside (instead of the usual white) and thus thought it would make my kids happy to carve it up! So that's just what we did. Jonathan grilled some delicious chicken on the grill and helped the boys carve the pumpkin, while I roasted the seeds (a yearly family favorite). The look was a little bit different, but the feel was the same - EVEN down to the cool breeze that blew through all day making it a nice nippy evening (note that my definition of 'nippy' has changed a bit since our arrival because we were all wearing shorts). We had a great evening celebrating fall together. Then today, we cooked the before mentioned pumpkin and ate it for lunch with our rice and lentils. We even had enough left over to make some pumpkin bread for tomorrow! It's inspired me so much that I think tomorrow we might even work on a fall craft or two!

Carving in progress. No, my camera isn't acting funny. The 'pumpkin' was greenish/yellow.

Finished product!

Pumpkin seeds. I was a bit concerned about roasting the seeds from this unknown origin of pumpkin, but they were delicious and best of all, no one got sick or died from eating them!
2 comments:
I need to know your recipes. I always say I'm going to roast pumpkin seeds, but then I toss them...this year we gave them for our friend's cow. But I want to do it!!!
And, have you ever made pumpkin pie successfully from a carved pumpkin? My first attempt--many years ago was NAS-TY! But, it's Gray's favorite. I'd love to successfully make it for him sometime!
Brandy, I've never made a pumpkin pie - period. But I keep thinking I might try, since Jonathan really likes them. As for the seeds, just a little oil and salt and an oven - 15-20 minutes later - roasted pumpkin seeds. So you can see just how hard I was working for those seeds!
Post a Comment