Saturday, July 24, 2010

cool, artsy restaurant, shoe sucking mud and a poisonous snake

We really wanted to take our visitors to a town about 30 minutes away to this really cool restaurant some friends showed us a while back. The guy who built it is an artist, so everything is really artsy, fun and cool. The majority of the restaurant is outside, overlooking a little stream/river. Each seating area is separate and has a different design. For instance, one of the booths is shaped like a turtle, another a little Asian style house, another a beach cabana. There's even seating out beside the river. Although these days, the river is overflowing it's banks, so that seating isn't available. Hence my saga begins. . .

There were 13 people in total eating/visiting at the restaurant experience this particular day, so we opted for the beach cabana. Jonathan and I have taken JT and Char to this restaurant several times before, and we've always let them wander a bit while we were waiting for our food. I mean, there's a lot to see at this place. Lesson learned: NEVER, NEVER let boys wander a bit. It's detrimental to them. Charlie appears from behind a bush from an area I know he isn't supposed to be in. He knows it too but proceeds to say, "I think my shoe is lost in some quicksand". What?!? Yep, they stepped off the known territory into the muddy, overflowing banks of the river. In my relaxed, beach cabana-lovin' state, I laugh and think 'oh how funny'. Jonathan, being the extremely helpful parent he is, goes off to retrieve the lost shoe, wash off the muddy feet and move on with our fun experience. Five minutes tick by. I hear my name being called in a rather harsh way. Jon Thomas, Charlie and Jonathan are all looking for Charlie's lost flip flop and seriously CANNOT find it in the mud. It really was like quicksand. The boys were disgusting from the knees down and the three shoes that they had managed to retrieve were unrecognizable. Just as the harsh, mean mother voice began gurgling in the back of my throat, Jon Thomas spots the flip flop buried in the mud. He gets it out with some difficulty and then begins screaming like a little girl as a poisonous snake called a crate slithers right on past us towards the beach cabana WHERE WE ARE EATING.
Yes, I am completely aware that people sit around for long periods of time TRYING to make up stuff like this.

I also apologize for the lack of snake photo here. It was really long, but it was fast and there was a lot of screaming.

Needless to say, we were all a bit on edge during the meal, hoping the snake wasn't going to scale the wall into our booth at any moment. Whew, it didn't. The little boys enjoyed some momos in their bare feet, and some adults enjoyed giggling at the boys' folly and the parent's exasperation!

No comments: