Monday, May 3, 2010

I'm having difficulty titling this post because I just want to put in a compilation of random things that I enjoy or think are funny about living here, and I've just realized that I have already specifically had a post with random in the name - I'm at a loss. Just think of this as completely random post #2, even though that is hardly witty.

Things that really make me happy these days:
-COLD water. Such a small item but such a necessity. Even when it is BLAZING hot outside, I can think about the bottle of water currently in my fridge or freezer that I'm saving for later and be completely happy.
-Projects. I did a little video interview with the boys about what they like doing, eating, etc. and BOTH of them said they like the projects we do at home. That made me happy because I like doing the projects too. So far, we've made a yarn octopus, made various planets and animals from homemade salt dough, made a mobile of the life cycle of the butterfly and did our own personal renderings of the days of creation. The guys also made a scratching post for the cat, but I wasn't in on that because it involved a hammer and saw. I'm not so good at those things.
-The roof. I LOVE how the houses here have rooftop spaces. We usually go out on the roof in the evenings when it is cool (ish) and breezy. So nice and refreshing. Charlie and Jonathan even spent the night on the roof a couple of nights ago, but got chased in by a rainstorm at 2:00 a.m.
-Skype. I so enjoy being able to connect with my family each week. Even my dad got a new computer for the occasion. It's so much better than being on the phone, I mean you can SEE them. I love it. Although I cry sometimes when we get off because I can't be with them, but I still LOVE IT!

Things that make me laugh lately
-The fact that here your mother's sister is your kaa kaa and your father's sister is your poo poo. Now come on, you know you think it's funny too.
-I LOVE that the head bobble replaces actual words. You can just bobble your head from side to side and people UNDERSTAND what you mean. It's sooo much more animated than the standard U. S. head nod - this is a full fledged bobble from one shoulder to the other. It is awesome.
-When someone tells you something that is unexpected or a surprise, you say 'pakka ho!' It's fun to say. You should try it.
-I think it's funny when I try to explain to someone where I live. Nine times out of ten, they already know exactly where it is. It's a foreigner thing. They gotta keep an eye on us. There's just no telling what we're doing behind these compound walls!
-Having all the kids in the neighborhood constantly practice their English on you. BUT all they know is, "Hallo, how are you? I am pine thank you." (literally, they say pine and every kid says it the EXACT same way 'cause that's how they learn it in school).

Living in another country is a challenge, but the days when I can laugh about what's going on and feel happy in the small things make it so much better.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Aw, these tidbits are great! You should start a whole series of "Random #" posts. I'm impressed--though not surprised--that you are still able to do some cool projects with the boys.

I hope your foot is doing better.

Katie said...

This makes me miss y'all and life overseas! Glad you're finding joy in the little things.