Friday, December 19, 2008

Booty!

Last night our family delivered Christmas gifts to three cargo ships and port workers to three docks on the Mississippi River. Pictured above is about half of what the seafarers brought out to my children - the other half was consumed on the spot. Spoiled. Rotten. But in reality, I think the seafarers feel spoiled that we came and brought cookies and presents just for them - at least I hope they feel spoiled and cared for.

I'll just briefly say again that I LOVE VOLUNTEERING HERE. I love going on the ships and visiting with these guys. My kids seem to take it all in stride. Even the shy one was giving out gifts and telling everyone Merry Christmas. Several of the guys (even port workers) said this was probably the only gift they would get this Christmas. I especially love it when the roughest, toughest looking guy on the ship looks at my kids and absolutely melts because he misses his own family so much. Another plug - these gifts we were giving cost about $8.00 each and there are 2,000 of them to be given away, not to mention the gifts being given to the two cruise ship staffs. Global Maritime Ministries is a wonderful ministry that reaches into the world from right here in New Orleans.

Our family has also started volunteering at the Seafarer's Center on Sundays when a very large cruise ship is in port. This gives the ship's staff a chance to come to the center for internet use, phones, Western Union, mail, snacks and relaxation.
Have a Merry Christmas!

No comments: