Friday, November 21, 2008

Language School

So our first six months in New Orleans is complete, and I think we have almost mastered the native tongue. Just in case you ever visit, I want you to be knowledgeable about some of the phrases you may run into. . . .

-neutral ground = The median, strip of land in between two streets/highways
-making groceries = purchasing food at the market/grocery store/Wal-Mart
-lagniappe = a little something extra, like a tip
-sha = so cute
-sha babe' = awwww that is so, so cute
-Where yat? = what is your present location?
-yeah-ah (this is like yes with no 's' and three syllables) = an interjection that can be used at any given time, ex. 'The lines in Wal-Mart are always too long, yeah-ah' (Yes, my husband is a graduate student and Wal-Mart is my main shopping venue)

Start with these simple phrases. After you pass an extensive exam, you'll be ready to venture down here. I must point out (again) that if you are getting ready to go out of the country, this is the best place to prepare! Really, it's another world down here.

2 comments:

CartyCrew said...

Carrie, this is Emily Rives Carty. I found you through Kimberly's blog. Can I just say that you are amazing! I have been reading your posts for an hour now and have enjoyed every minute. I know you are blessed and am thankful for people like you and your family. I will continue to keep up with you through your blog. GOOD LUCK!

The Spears Family said...

Thanks Em! It is great to hear from you! Maybe we will see you at Christmas?